Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Apple Fest

I went apple picking this past weekend with my husband and some friends and we had such a lovely time.  The orchards were in full bloom and there were apples everywhere.  Plenty to go around!  We picked Wine Saps, MacIntosh, Macouns, Empires, you name it, we picked it.  It was interesting to taste the differences of all the apples too.  It is something I never put much thought to.  I would just buy whatever was on sale at the supermarket and that was the apple we ate at that time.  I didn't realize how the flavor and juciness and texture changes from apple to apple.  It was a wonderful little taste test!  My favorite apples, hands down though,  are the Macoun's.  I don't think I've ever seen those in the supermarket.  But I'll be sure to keep my eyes open from now on!  They are delicious!  Farmer's Markets here I come.

Now the fun begins baking apple pies and apple crisps, apple zeppolies with cinnamon whipped cream, apple sauce, pork loin with apples & brown sugar, cider, the possibilites are endless.  There are so many wonderful things you can make with apples.  Waldorf Salads, Apple Oatmeal Cookies, Apple Spiced Tea, I can go on and on but you get the idea. 

After apple picking, we picnicked on the top of the mountain.  We had cider and cheese and crackers and looked over the orchards.  The landscape was so beautiful and peaceful.  I could've sat there forever.


Back at home the guys watched football while the girls made dinner.  What a perfect afternoon. 

0 comments: