Saturday, June 12, 2010

Circle Of Life

About 3 years ago my husband and I lined the fence in our backyard with hand painted birdhouses.  I was so excited to come home every night  to paint my next house.  Creativity does not flow easily within my person so this was a totally new concept to me and I gave it my best.  I couldn't wait to get them all mounted.  Even some of our family members painted a few houses for us.  We have the Red Baron, the American Flag, The Fashionista, The Bumble Bee, The Barn, and the ever popular, designed by my husband, The Woodlot.  The day we mounted them I watched them all night in hopes of meeting our new residents.  But no luck.  Year after year I watched and I waited and nothing.  Could it be that we have 3 cats and a dog running around the yard?  Nah, I tell myself.  The houses are so nice who wouldn't want to live in them?  Well, guess what?  We have lift-off!  We have a Winter Starling who took residence in The Woodlot.  We watched her for weeks flying in and out with hay and sticks and leaves making her nest for her family.  Just a few days ago while weeding in the garden, I heard the tinest little sounds coming from the birdhouse.  I looked up and saw Mama Starling entering with a worm in her mouth.  We have babies!!!!!  What a lovely little sound they make.  They sure are hungry.  Now Mama Starling spends her day flying around looking for food for her babies.  I see her going in with worms and coming out with nothing.  There are about 5 little chicks in there.  I couldn't help myself, I had to take a little peak in there!  They are so adorable.  I wonder how long it will be before they make their first flight attempt and sure hope I am there to see it!  Good luck little ones!  Hope to see you again next year! 

0 comments: