Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Ratatouille Wraps

I've been asked to post a recipe using my garden fresh herbs and vegetables so here goes... 

One of my favorite things to make in the summer with all my homegrown goodies is Ratatouille Wraps.   They are delicious, healthy and a great way to use up alot of those vegetables all at once.  You won't miss the meat on this one but you can always add cooked or ground chicken, beef or turkey.


olive oil                                      1 Eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 zucchini chopped                   1 Onion, chopped
1 bell pepper chopped              2-3 sprigs fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp dried     
2 tomatoes chopped                  2-3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
2 large whole wheat wraps       4 ounces of your favorite cheese
salt and pepper                         3 cloves garlic minced

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Once or twice around the pan is good.  Add eggplant, cook and stir until golden.  Pour in more olive oil as needed.  Add zucchini, onion, bell pepper, salt & pepper, cook and stir under crisp-tender.  Stir in the tomatoes, garlic, thyme and oregano.  Heat thru about 4-5 minutes.

Lay the wraps on the counter.  Sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese in the center of each wrap and top with the ratatouille mixture.  Fold the wrap up to enclose.

Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in skillet. Add wraps seam side down, turning once until golden brown, about 4 minutes.

You can use any combination of veggies for this.  Sometimes I use broccoli, green beans, carrots and snap peas.  It depends on what I have harvested that day for dinner.

There is much debate on how to make traditional ratatouille.  My method is to simply saute all the vegetables together and make wraps. 

Bon Appetit!

16 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sounds pretty easy and delicious.
Cna't wait to try this one. I may even be able to sneak some veggies into my kids with this one!

Thanks!

Tara said...

This is what is for dinner tonight!

Liz said...

Veggies,yay!!

Angela said...

This was delicious! The wrap made it fun for my kids and they had no idea they were eating all those vegetables. I added rice and cheese and it was a total success, thanks for sharing!

Cristina said...

I am totally making this, this week. Can't wait to use all the veggies in my fridge and on my counter

Betsy @ Romance on a Dime said...

MMmm - sounds delicious! My favorite type of food!

Unknown said...

I bet some feta cheese would go nicely with this.

Visiting you from SITS!

Marie said...

Yum, I could use a Ratatouille wrap right now....

The Italian Mama said...

Ooh, I love it! Ratatouille is one of my favorite meals to make. It's fast, healthy, and super easy. I am stopping by from SITS!

Kelly said...

I followed you over from SITS girls. I love all the veggies in this one. Very healthy and colorful.

Sarah Bee said...

That sounds super yummy - I will have to try to it soon! :)

Happy SITS day!!

Joanne said...

Great and simple idea for getting more veggies. Thanks!

Leslie said...

Sound tasty! I think i prefer your ratatouille recipe to Julia Child’s...it just gets too greasy! (or perhaps the Husband and I need to work on our technique?!)

Lindsay said...

Can't wait to try these!

My Traveling Troop said...

Happy belated SITS day!

The wraps look nutritious and delicious! Can't wait to try!

Cheers,
Kristina

Becky said...

Thanks for the comment on my Summer Spring Rolls. I don't know how they would be heated up, I think maybe better cold. Yours looks delicious!!

http://theyellowapronexperiment.blogspot.com/2012/06/summer-veggie-spring-rolls.html